Skip to main content

August Blog Challenge - Day 8

What are five passions you have?

It's hot here.  And I am tired.
Not feeling terribly passionate, so I guess we'll see how this goes.
Maybe if I just start writing...

1. Kindness - our world needs more kindness.  Imagine if all 7 billion people on our planet each did one kind thing for someone each day.  Kindness is always the right choice.  Especially when people don't deserve it.  The hurt that people cause is never greater than the hurt they feel.  Further hurt never solves anything.  I really, really believe that violence is never the answer.  There is always another, better way to accomplish something.

2. Respect - which leads me to respect.  If in addition to being kind, we respect our fellow humans, so much can change.  And I mean all humans.  The first area where there is so much disrespect is in regard to children.  Just because they are small, doesn't mean they are less.  They are full-fledged people.  Really they are.  And it's so important to respect them as such.  Small example I see all the time:  toddler has runny nose.  Mom swoops in from behind with a kleenex and wipes the nose. Toddler yells.  Yeah.  Wouldn't you?  If someone surprise-attacked your nose like that?  We tell them, "You can't possibly be hungry."  or "Take two more bites." as if they don't know their own hunger cues.  And guess what?  When we override them like that, they lose the ability to gauge their own hunger and begin to eat for the wrong reasons.  We say, "Shh, shh, you're okay." when they cry.  No, they're not okay and it's important for them to be able to express it.  How about, "Wow, you're upset. Let me stay with you until you feel calmer."  And don't even get me started on circumcision.  But it's not just children.  Our world is full of examples of disrespect.  People don't respect law enforcement, medical professionals, teachers.  They are rude to waitresses, cashiers and mechanics.  People are judged for how much education they have, how much money they earn and what car they drive.  And the level of disrespect rises to violence.  School shootings, officers killed in the line of duty, rape on college campuses.  STOP!  If you don't believe in miracles, then perhaps you've forgotten that you are one.  And so is he.  And so is she. And so are they.

3. Diversity - I have a son with a disability.   I have an uncle, who is like my big brother, who is gay. I love a man who is black. This is so important to me.  Whether it's culture, religion, race, language, gender, sexuality, ability/disability, physical or mental illness, income level...whatever it is that makes us different from one another...this is something to embrace.  Something to love and be excited about.  People are different.  That's what makes them interesting.  Kenny will never be neurotypical.  And that's okay.  He has his own gifts to bring to our world.  He is funny and fiercely loyal and all about sports.  He's the best friend you'll ever have.  No he's not "normal."  He has autism.  But that's part of who he is.  It makes him unique.  It makes him different.  And differences should never be barriers. I could have put EQUITY along with diversity.  Because we have to make sure that each person has what they need.  And because people have different histories, different barriers it's not always about treating everyone the same.
If you come from a background of privilege, this may be hard to understand.  Our society has long given preference to certain groups.  If you're straight, if you're white, if your gender matches your sex, if you're male, if you're Christian, whether you believe it or not, you've been privileged.  At the expense of people who are not these things. It creates bias, which is often unconscious.  And privilege blinds us.  To read more:  click here.

4.  Learning - I love to learn things.  And every time I learn something new, it's like I walked through a door.  Into a room with six more doors.  I discover even more things I don't know.  I'm hungry and curious to learn them all.  The more I learn, the more I find how little I know, how much there is to know.  And every person I meet knows things that I don't know.  One of my favorite phrases is, "I don't know." Because it gives me an opportunity to find out.  So read, meet new people, ask a lot of questions, value learning that is different from yours.  I went once to a welding class.  I may have read Shakespeare, Stalin and Steinbeck in college, but that doesn't make me smarter than these students. They know about chemical interactions and how to form a bead and what fuel works with what metal and all kinds of information that I know nothing about.  Howard Gardner proposes that there are nine different kinds of intelligence.  Wow!  Nine.  Let's learn to value them all.

5. Love - you know this.  Love hard. Love often.  Love loud.  Love without reservation.  Love without fear.  Love without agenda.  Unconditionally.  Every day.  With everything you've got.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kyle

Tomorrow is January 2. One of the five happiest days of my life. It's the day Kyle was born. Dave was so excited. All through the pregnancy, Dave was sure this was a girl. He bought this little pink sleeper. He was just sure that Kyle was a girl. Actually, he was sure it was a girl all four times! But if he were to be a boy, his name was to be Kenny or Erik. Kenny or Erik. Erik or Kenny. We went back and forth. Dave said, "Oh, it didn't matter anyway, since Amanda Loree was going to be born." A few days before Kyle was born, we had an ultrasound, because there had been so much confusion on his due date (turned out he was 3.5 weeks overdue!), and we discovered he was a boy! A boy! We were amazed. And suddenly decided to name him Kyle. Don't ask me why or how. It just happened. Dave's brother, Bob, was in town for the weekend. I'd had a lot of contractions on Dave's birthday, he was hoping that Kyle would be born on his birthday, but it didn'

Tumor Board

Tuesday, August 17, 2004 1:13 PM CDT We met with doctors at Harborview yesterday. Dave has a new growth in his right frontal lobe. This new growth is very small, but it was not evident at his MRI in May, and shows on the MRI in July. It's quite scary that it has grown so quickly, and is in a new place. It's also scary that it grew while Dave was on temodar (chemo). The doctors from the tumor board are recommending gamma knife. Gamma knife is high intensity radiation that is very accurate and focused on the tumor growth. There are 201 beams aimed at the tumor. (See the main page for a link to information about gamma knife, you have to scroll to the bottom.) On Thursday, August 19, 2004, Dave will undergo gamma knife at Harborview in Seattle. We are hoping that this will halt the growth of the tumor. He will go into the hospital at 7:00 am and they will place a halo or frame around his head, by screwing it into his skull (ouch! They will give him some IV pain meds). They took x-r

Goodbyes

So I had my first Walla Walla goodbyes. The first was my eye doctor, Dr. Poffenroth. He's taken care of my eyes for 25 years. He's more than just an eye doctor.  He's a caring person and a friend. As I left my last appointment, he handed me a card with a referral to a friend of his who practices in Port Angeles. I looked at the card. And realized...I won't see him again. I've been living in a bit of denial. I know.  Big surprise. With all the excitement and chaos of moving, And all the stress of living in limbo, I somehow missed that I'd be leaving some things some people behind. I know I'll be back often. To see my kids and the new grandbaby, friends and family. This fact allowed me to forget... there are some I won't see. Even though we promise to keep in touch, Life has a way of getting busy. Good intentions and all that. I  have written many times about Walla Walla. It's a magical place. Safe, nurturing. I never thou