Skip to main content

August Blog Challenge - Day 7

What is your dream job and why?

I have my dream job.  I really do.

I work at Walla Walla Community College.  It's the best community college in the nation according to the Aspen Institute.

And it is. It really is.

I went to a private university.  A pretty snobby, pretentious one. I thought the community college would somehow be "less" than a university.

I was so wrong.

This place is filled with dynamic, passionate, intelligent people.  And these people care so much about the students they serve. I am continually awed by the caliber of learning and the depth of compassion I see every day.

And I get to be a part of it.

The work I do is hard. But I have a partner.  Daryl.  He's my sanity.  He keeps me grounded.  He's brilliant and insightful and he fills my work days with unconditional love.  We support each other. We talk and connect every day, sustaining each other in ways that go far beyond the surface.  We grow together as people and as therapists.  We fight bias and stigma and help people hear the voices of those who are often overlooked. When things get too stressful, we put on music and dance. I was going to say that I couldn't do this work without him, but I probably could.  I just wouldn't be nearly as good at it.

PEOPLE MATTER, DAMN IT!


My title is Faculty Counselor, and I get the best of both worlds.  I get to teach.  This means I get to interact with these people who are curious and bright.  I get to advise some of them, help them plan their path and hear their dreams.  It's hopeful work, filled with excitement about possibilities.

But I spend most of my day in therapy sessions with students.  Our college recognizes that often it's not the math or the science or the English that stands in the way of those dreams.  It's the issues that the students are handling in their lives that become barriers to their success.

I meet with incredible people.  I am privileged to hear their fears, their sorrows, their trauma.  They trust me with their worst thoughts, their hardest memories and their deepest emotions.  I hear about the worst moments of their lives.  Rape.  Molestation.  Drugs.  Violence.  Fear.  Depression.  Suicidal thoughts.  Despair.  Shame.  They pour it out.  And I listen.  I hear.


It is sacred work.  Every day, we tackle the tough stuff.  Asking the hard questions.  What do I feel? What does that emotion mean?  What am I thinking?  How does my thinking influence my emotions? How do my emotions influence my thinking?  What messages am I giving myself? Where do those messages come from?  Are they valid?  How do I make sense of what has happened to me?   What is important?  What is meaningful? What am I responsible for? What kind of person do I want to be? How do I get there?  What can I do?  Can I change?  What do I have control over?  And most of all, am I worthy, am I enough?


My part is to create a safe place.  To listen deeply without judgment. To share observations. To ask hard questions. And to offer unconditional positive regard.  In other words, to love them while they struggle.

It's easy.  And it's hard.

It's easy because I have such admiration for each person who is brave enough to find their way to my office and open themselves to such an incredibly intense process.  It's easy because I feel their pain deeply. It's easy because I care.  It's easy because it matters so much.

It's hard because it is so intense.  It's exhausting.  It's hard because I feel their pain deeply. It's hard because I care.  It's hard because it matters so much.

It is life-altering work I do.

People ask all the time how I can do it.  How I can absorb so much pain.  I'll tell you.  It's because I get to be part of healing that pain.  I get to hear things like:

"It really isn't my fault, is it?"
"I realized...."
"I tried something different."
"I actually felt..."
"I was scared, but I did it."
"I've made a decision."
"I can do this."
"I caught myself and broke an old pattern."
"I have a choice."
"I'm worth it."

I witness miracles.  And even when things go badly, I have an opportunity to walk with someone through their pain, and I believe that alone makes a difference.

So while it might sound nice to be a caregiver of baby pandas or a puppy holder or a chocolate taster for a living, I wouldn't trade what I do for anything.

It's my dream job.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kyle

Tomorrow is January 2. One of the five happiest days of my life. It's the day Kyle was born. Dave was so excited. All through the pregnancy, Dave was sure this was a girl. He bought this little pink sleeper. He was just sure that Kyle was a girl. Actually, he was sure it was a girl all four times! But if he were to be a boy, his name was to be Kenny or Erik. Kenny or Erik. Erik or Kenny. We went back and forth. Dave said, "Oh, it didn't matter anyway, since Amanda Loree was going to be born." A few days before Kyle was born, we had an ultrasound, because there had been so much confusion on his due date (turned out he was 3.5 weeks overdue!), and we discovered he was a boy! A boy! We were amazed. And suddenly decided to name him Kyle. Don't ask me why or how. It just happened. Dave's brother, Bob, was in town for the weekend. I'd had a lot of contractions on Dave's birthday, he was hoping that Kyle would be born on his birthday, but it didn'

Tumor Board

Tuesday, August 17, 2004 1:13 PM CDT We met with doctors at Harborview yesterday. Dave has a new growth in his right frontal lobe. This new growth is very small, but it was not evident at his MRI in May, and shows on the MRI in July. It's quite scary that it has grown so quickly, and is in a new place. It's also scary that it grew while Dave was on temodar (chemo). The doctors from the tumor board are recommending gamma knife. Gamma knife is high intensity radiation that is very accurate and focused on the tumor growth. There are 201 beams aimed at the tumor. (See the main page for a link to information about gamma knife, you have to scroll to the bottom.) On Thursday, August 19, 2004, Dave will undergo gamma knife at Harborview in Seattle. We are hoping that this will halt the growth of the tumor. He will go into the hospital at 7:00 am and they will place a halo or frame around his head, by screwing it into his skull (ouch! They will give him some IV pain meds). They took x-r

Goodbyes

So I had my first Walla Walla goodbyes. The first was my eye doctor, Dr. Poffenroth. He's taken care of my eyes for 25 years. He's more than just an eye doctor.  He's a caring person and a friend. As I left my last appointment, he handed me a card with a referral to a friend of his who practices in Port Angeles. I looked at the card. And realized...I won't see him again. I've been living in a bit of denial. I know.  Big surprise. With all the excitement and chaos of moving, And all the stress of living in limbo, I somehow missed that I'd be leaving some things some people behind. I know I'll be back often. To see my kids and the new grandbaby, friends and family. This fact allowed me to forget... there are some I won't see. Even though we promise to keep in touch, Life has a way of getting busy. Good intentions and all that. I  have written many times about Walla Walla. It's a magical place. Safe, nurturing. I never thou