What are the five things that make you most happy right now?
- A houseful of my kids and their friends. I love the noise and the chaos. I love the chorus of "Hi, Mom!" when I get home. I love the giant hugs. I love that they empty my refrigerator and stay up too late. I love driving with them in the car and hearing them sing along to the radio. I love their silly jokes. I love the way they argue and cuss. I love the projects they do, even when my house smells like bleach afterwards. And how they show me things like a new hat or a new tattoo. I love the stories they tell. I love that they want to tell me their stories. I love that they want to hear what I think and ask my advice. I love their enthusiasm. I love that I get to share their joy and their tears. They fill my home with love. I wouldn't have it any other way.
- Vanilla iced coffee from McDonald's. I know. But really. It probably does really rank up there in my top five. I live a simple life. New toothbrushes also make me ridiculously happy.
- Driving and hearing that song that describes exactly how I'm feeling.
- Waking up almost every morning to a video text that lets me know that he's thinking of me, that he misses me, that he loves me.
- Summer evenings on my deck. Looking at the black sky dusted with stars. Feeling the heat of the day fade away. Hearing crickets and the steady ch-ch-ch of the sprinklers over the wheat fields. Smelling sweet onions in the breeze. With the dogs at my feet, I look back on the day and think, "You did it, Chelle. Another day in the books. There's food in the fridge, gas in the tank, and a roof over our heads. You worked hard at an important job and made a difference. The house is a mess, but it's full of people you love." And before I go to bed, I open each door, just to check. Just to hear them breathe. Just to see that they're safe. And as I fall asleep, I thank God for all He's entrusted to me, and I ask for the chance to do it all again tomorrow...one more day.