Skip to main content

Saving someone

I came home sick today.  Took some medication, fell into a drugged sleep.
And had an awful dream.  Awful.

Someone I love was on a plane.
Finally coming here, to me.
He face-timed me from the plane, about to take off.
He said, "I need to talk to Kenny.  Let me talk to Kenny."
So I handed the phone to Kenny.
I could still hear him, hear his voice.
"Buddy, you've got to do something for me."
"Okay, what?"
"Tell your mother I love her."
"You can tell her yourself."
"No, bud, I can't.  She can't hear this.  You have to tell her.
Tell her I love her.  Tell her I'll always love  her."

Then the sound of gunfire.
Blood everywhere.
And the phone went dead.

Not knowing who to call,
we turned on the tv.
Watched as channel after channel carried the story.

The despair, the horror
Was so real.

I woke feeling awful.
But not really afraid.
I know that he wouldn't kill himself.
For a million reasons.

But Doug did.
And I never saw it coming.

I read an article today that a suicide leaves six survivors hurting in its wake.
The article said the number is probably much higher.

I wouldn't be probably considered in Doug's six.  I'm not a relative.  In the wake of his suicide, I hurt. I am his survivor, because of how much Dave and I loved him, because he was my family.  And Doug knew it.  When he died, he left a note for me.  He knew, he knew that I would need something to hold onto. He knew that I would want reasons.  He knew that I would need to know that he still loved me. That he didn't blame me, that it wasn't my fault.

And yet, I doubted all of that.
Over and over.
Yes, in the wake of his suicide, I hurt.

I remember feeling like I should have saved him.
And that I failed.

I had similar feelings when Dave died,
even though it was completely different,
I remember feeling like I loved him so much
It should have been enough to save him,
To keep him alive.

But it wasn't enough.

I suppose it never can be.
I'm still, still
Learning to live with that.

My far away love is experiencing difficult changes in his life now.
I want so to comfort him, reassure him, help him.
I sent him a text this morning saying,
"My love will surround and protect you."

The dream is a message.
A message that we can't really ever do that.
No matter how much you love someone,
You can't save them.

My love couldn't save Doug.
Or Dave.
And it can't save this person, either.

I spent a long time
Feeling sad about that.
Feeling inadequate.
Wishing I could love better,
Stronger somehow.

My love for these three
Is deeper than any I've known.
I love them as much as I love my children,
For they are part of me in the same way.
Flesh of my flesh.
Blood of my blood.

I would do anything to save them.
Anything.
And yet, it's not enough.
Still falling short.
Still failing.

But the truth is deeper than that, more complex.
Each of us has to save ourselves,
Build our own life into what we want
or need
it to be.
Conquer our own fears,
Surmount our own barriers,
Overcome our own obstacles.

I can't be responsible for someone else.
I can only love them.
They choose what to do with that.
Whether to let it in
Or not.

Because I do know this.
Life is easier with love.
When someone loves you
And you feel it,
Let yourself feel it,
Let it in, then
Hard things are somehow easier.

I'm trying
To let that be enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kyle

Tomorrow is January 2. One of the five happiest days of my life. It's the day Kyle was born. Dave was so excited. All through the pregnancy, Dave was sure this was a girl. He bought this little pink sleeper. He was just sure that Kyle was a girl. Actually, he was sure it was a girl all four times! But if he were to be a boy, his name was to be Kenny or Erik. Kenny or Erik. Erik or Kenny. We went back and forth. Dave said, "Oh, it didn't matter anyway, since Amanda Loree was going to be born." A few days before Kyle was born, we had an ultrasound, because there had been so much confusion on his due date (turned out he was 3.5 weeks overdue!), and we discovered he was a boy! A boy! We were amazed. And suddenly decided to name him Kyle. Don't ask me why or how. It just happened. Dave's brother, Bob, was in town for the weekend. I'd had a lot of contractions on Dave's birthday, he was hoping that Kyle would be born on his birthday, but it didn'

Tumor Board

Tuesday, August 17, 2004 1:13 PM CDT We met with doctors at Harborview yesterday. Dave has a new growth in his right frontal lobe. This new growth is very small, but it was not evident at his MRI in May, and shows on the MRI in July. It's quite scary that it has grown so quickly, and is in a new place. It's also scary that it grew while Dave was on temodar (chemo). The doctors from the tumor board are recommending gamma knife. Gamma knife is high intensity radiation that is very accurate and focused on the tumor growth. There are 201 beams aimed at the tumor. (See the main page for a link to information about gamma knife, you have to scroll to the bottom.) On Thursday, August 19, 2004, Dave will undergo gamma knife at Harborview in Seattle. We are hoping that this will halt the growth of the tumor. He will go into the hospital at 7:00 am and they will place a halo or frame around his head, by screwing it into his skull (ouch! They will give him some IV pain meds). They took x-r

Goodbyes

So I had my first Walla Walla goodbyes. The first was my eye doctor, Dr. Poffenroth. He's taken care of my eyes for 25 years. He's more than just an eye doctor.  He's a caring person and a friend. As I left my last appointment, he handed me a card with a referral to a friend of his who practices in Port Angeles. I looked at the card. And realized...I won't see him again. I've been living in a bit of denial. I know.  Big surprise. With all the excitement and chaos of moving, And all the stress of living in limbo, I somehow missed that I'd be leaving some things some people behind. I know I'll be back often. To see my kids and the new grandbaby, friends and family. This fact allowed me to forget... there are some I won't see. Even though we promise to keep in touch, Life has a way of getting busy. Good intentions and all that. I  have written many times about Walla Walla. It's a magical place. Safe, nurturing. I never thou