Skip to main content

Six years

I guess I'm supposed to have something to say.
Something wise.
Something heartfelt.
Oh - and something new.

I don't.

I actually told someone I was going to post:
SAME SH-T, DIFFERENT DAY
and leave it at that.

Not sure anyone wants to hear the same old things.
Especially me.

The tears most bitter
slip silently from
behind
summer sunglasses.

Yesterday was six years since the end.
Not only the end of Dave's life on earth,
but the end of mine as I knew it.

But it also marks six years
of a new beginning.

Yesterday was also the first day of school.
And as we placed flowers on Dave's rock,
I thought about how in an hour or so,
the building behind us would come alive,
empty, echoing rooms would fill
with laughter and lecture,
with cheers and complaints,
and all the drama that is high school.

Dave loved the first day of the school year.
It's shiny and new and fairly bursting
with promise
and hope.

It's a chance to start over,
to get it right this time.
Fresh and clean.
He loved it all.

The acrid smell of just-sharpened pencils,
lined up just so.
Squeaky, too-white shoes.
A box of new crayons,
every point still defined,
neat rows, like little soldiers.
The carefully chosen outfits,
designed to look as if
the wearer didn't give it a second thought.

The empty pages of a grade book,
blank,
yet full of possibility,
not yet written.

The warm bear hugs for people he knew.
"So good to see you,
how was your summer?
How are you?"
And he really did want to know
how you were.

Smiles for new faces.
"I'm glad to know you."
And somehow, he could sound,
every time, like he'd been waiting,
just to meet you.

He gave his very best to each one.

"You know Shell,
nobody cares how much you know
until they know
how much you care."

So he found ways to care.
Loud music coming from his portable.
Louder cheering at assemblies.
Crazy assignments.
Crazier clothes.
Briefcase held together with duct tape.
Walls papered with pictures and notes.
Funny cartoons of Sheriff Joe on the white board.
Guitars and Hawaiian shirts.
A listening ear.
A place to eat lunch.
A shoulder and a kleenex.
A nudge in the right direction.

He believed in those kids.
And wanted so much for them.
And demanded so much from them.
He pushed and challenged them.
Supported and believed them.
Stood up for them.
Stood up to them.

Bev Bos tells a story of a little boy who came to preschool one day, feeling a little cranky.  She greeted him warmly, only to be rebuffed.  After a few attempts, she said, "Well, if you change your mind, I'll be right here."  And the little guy looked up at her and said, "Oh hell, Bev, you're always here."

Perceptive for four years old, eh?
Presence is key.

That was Dave.
Always here.
Fully present.
Open door.
Open heart.
Kids could count on him.
Unconditionally.

The first day of school
is a marker.
It's also a chance
to leave some things behind.

A time to re-create.
To be re-born.
To let go of mistakes.
To do better.

And you don't have to wait for the start of a new school year.
I think this is why Dave actually liked Mondays.
It's a new week.
Another new start.
Another chance.

There's a song by Casting Crowns that says:

Jesus You know just how far
The east is from the west
I don't have to see the man I've been
Come rising up in me again

In the arms of Your mercy I find rest
'Cause You know just how far
The east is from the west
From one scarred hand to the other

Amazing.
Jesus casts out our sin.
We are re-born.

And on this day,
six years ago,
Dave was re-born,
into a new and perfect life.

I, too, was re-made,
into a life far less perfect.

But...
I still have the first day of school.

And so do you.
So make a new start.
Hug somebody like you mean it.
Risk being vulnerable by caring too much.
Believe, really believe, in what seems impossible,
but you know is important.
Stand up for someone.
Cheer louder than you need to.
Forgive someone.
Forgive yourself.
Go to K-Mart, buy a box of new crayons and take a whiff.
Remember?
It's a new year.
It's a new day.




Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some things just never get easier. God bless you as you cope with the loss of one so dear...to so many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been thinking about you and your family.

    Love and hugs,
    Kathy from Iowa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Late I know, but still heartfelt, big love to you mama Meyer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kyle

Tomorrow is January 2. One of the five happiest days of my life. It's the day Kyle was born. Dave was so excited. All through the pregnancy, Dave was sure this was a girl. He bought this little pink sleeper. He was just sure that Kyle was a girl. Actually, he was sure it was a girl all four times! But if he were to be a boy, his name was to be Kenny or Erik. Kenny or Erik. Erik or Kenny. We went back and forth. Dave said, "Oh, it didn't matter anyway, since Amanda Loree was going to be born." A few days before Kyle was born, we had an ultrasound, because there had been so much confusion on his due date (turned out he was 3.5 weeks overdue!), and we discovered he was a boy! A boy! We were amazed. And suddenly decided to name him Kyle. Don't ask me why or how. It just happened. Dave's brother, Bob, was in town for the weekend. I'd had a lot of contractions on Dave's birthday, he was hoping that Kyle would be born on his birthday, but it didn'

Tumor Board

Tuesday, August 17, 2004 1:13 PM CDT We met with doctors at Harborview yesterday. Dave has a new growth in his right frontal lobe. This new growth is very small, but it was not evident at his MRI in May, and shows on the MRI in July. It's quite scary that it has grown so quickly, and is in a new place. It's also scary that it grew while Dave was on temodar (chemo). The doctors from the tumor board are recommending gamma knife. Gamma knife is high intensity radiation that is very accurate and focused on the tumor growth. There are 201 beams aimed at the tumor. (See the main page for a link to information about gamma knife, you have to scroll to the bottom.) On Thursday, August 19, 2004, Dave will undergo gamma knife at Harborview in Seattle. We are hoping that this will halt the growth of the tumor. He will go into the hospital at 7:00 am and they will place a halo or frame around his head, by screwing it into his skull (ouch! They will give him some IV pain meds). They took x-r

Goodbyes

So I had my first Walla Walla goodbyes. The first was my eye doctor, Dr. Poffenroth. He's taken care of my eyes for 25 years. He's more than just an eye doctor.  He's a caring person and a friend. As I left my last appointment, he handed me a card with a referral to a friend of his who practices in Port Angeles. I looked at the card. And realized...I won't see him again. I've been living in a bit of denial. I know.  Big surprise. With all the excitement and chaos of moving, And all the stress of living in limbo, I somehow missed that I'd be leaving some things some people behind. I know I'll be back often. To see my kids and the new grandbaby, friends and family. This fact allowed me to forget... there are some I won't see. Even though we promise to keep in touch, Life has a way of getting busy. Good intentions and all that. I  have written many times about Walla Walla. It's a magical place. Safe, nurturing. I never thou