Skip to main content

Can't Catch a Break

Friday, October 8, 2004 9:21 PM CDT

I told Janet this morning that I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. Dave is still doing okay, he's feeling a little weak in the knees, and did gag once when he was coughing, but still cautiously okay.

The problems: received an email from a doc who specializes in bts. What follows is the text of an email he sent me.

"The thing to watch for is lung function.. get a referral to a pulmonary specialist for a baseline breathing test now, then repeat it frequently to catch the first signs of lung problems.
BCNU infusions are tricky if the nurses don't do it all of the time... it has to be in a glass container - not the plastic bags used for everything else, and protected from the light, and only lasts about 8 hours after they mix it unless it is refrigerated. If you notice they aren't following those rules, tell the doctor. The reason I mention this is I once talked to someone who also said he had no nausea and the bcnu wasn't working and he saw my page on bcnu ( and noted that he was getting it in a plastic bag, exposed to the light over a long period of time. He argued with the doctor who said it didn't need to be in glass, and they checked the package insert, and found it to be true. They
then tested it and found the iv bag only had a small % of the bcnu that it should have had.

Dave is getting the PFT (pulmonary function test) next week and before each new round. The BCNU was in a glass bottle, but I have no idea how long it was mixed and how long it was exposed to light, so the bad news is, the BCNU might have been compromised, and that might be the reason he has no nausea. We will call the doc on Monday and find out about the light exposure and how long it was mixed.

Big thank yous to Dale Smelcer who came and worked on Kenny's window today. Bless you, Dale, and LaDessa for offering him!

Love you all, Shelley


Popular posts from this blog


So I had my first Walla Walla goodbyes.
The first was my eye doctor, Dr. Poffenroth.
He's taken care of my eyes for 25 years.
He's more than just an eye doctor.  He's a caring person and a friend.
As I left my last appointment, he handed me a card with a referral to a friend of his who practices in Port Angeles.
I looked at the card.
And realized...I won't see him again.

I've been living in a bit of denial.
I know.  Big surprise.

With all the excitement and chaos of moving,
And all the stress of living in limbo,
I somehow missed that I'd be leaving some things
some people

I know I'll be back often.
To see my kids and the new grandbaby,
friends and family.
This fact allowed me to forget...
there are some I won't see.

Even though we promise to keep in touch,
Life has a way of getting busy.
Good intentions and all that.

I  have written many times about Walla Walla.
It's a magical place.
Safe, nurturing.
I never thought I'd leave.

People ask…

Being a Widow on Father's Day

This day never gets easier.

I scroll facebook and I see
that my children and I are not alone.
So many families missing dads on
Father's Day.

We are lucky.
Dave was here,
and fought to stay,
as long as he could.
He left a legacy that we will
always remember.
He was honest and kind and caring.
He was full of faith and joy and love.
His example leads us through every day
without him.
Missing him never goes away.

I want to give a "shout-out"
to all those moms who do double duty.
Who work hard to be the best mom that they can,
and try to fill the empty space left by a dad
who is no longer here.

For the last almost 11 years,
and often in the years before that
when Dave was so sick,
I tried to do what I could.
"There is no way to be a perfect mother,but a million ways to be a good one."
I worked two jobs.  Sometimes three.
A few times, even four.
To make sure my kids could stay in their childhood home,
to try to provide some safety, stability and security
in a wo…


I got a tattoo.  Christine actually wrote on my facebook post, "You??"
Yeah.  Me.

I've been thinking about it for six years.
I finally decided that if after six years, I still wanted it, maybe it was time.

The writing is Dave and Doug's.
Taken from notes they wrote me.
They always signed their notes the same way.

I thought I was doing it in memory of them.
To mark the way they are always on my heart.
To have a visible reminder.
A permanent keepsake,
always with me.

And while it is that.
It is also more.

I didn't realize it,
until afterwards.

It's a marker.
A closing of a chapter.
Closure, if you will.

I don't know how to explain it.
The minute it was finished,
I knew.
I knew something inside me was different.

and to a lesser extent,
have been part of my every thought
every day
for over 10 years.

Daryl saw the Dali Lama this summer.
One thing he learned:
Interrogate your truth.

I've been thinking about that a lot.

Interrogate implies a…