Skip to main content

Inspiration!



Hi everyone,
Wow...lots has happened since my last blog.
First, Kate had a tournament. The girls have improved so much. It was so much fun to watch them. They beat teams that they used to lost to or struggle against. We had a few blow-out victories, and one loss by 16 points to Ephrata Heat. We faced the Heat again for the championship and only lost that by 6 points to take second in the tournament. It was a lot of fun. Even if it was in Hermiston.





And last night was the football banquet. What an incredible night. The boys got their varsity letter awards and were recognized for a great season. Zach will be starting again as a senior on defense for sure and hopefully at running back on offense as well. Kenny and all the seniors had an emotional night. They are a tight group.

We moms decorated at Whitman and we all made posters showing for our senior. Kenny's had some great pictures that Brian Gaines took. And also some of the cutie-pie pics from when he was a blonde, curly-haired toddler and some from middle school football. Some from Special Olympics track and skiing. Homecoming King pics. Of course, I also put a few pictures of Dave on there. It turned out awesome. (If I do say so myself!) Brian Gaines made the seniors each a book that had all their pictures in it and copies of all the newspaper articles from the season. They made a video of each senior recalling special moment from the season. Brian also made 24X36 posters of each senior with an action shot. They were so cool!

And then the awards. Kenny and Drew Limberg were honored by their teammates, a tied vote for the DAVE MEYER MOST INSPIRATIONAL AWARD! Many tears last night.

A few pictures:











Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another reason to be so proud but yet feel like something is missing. That thing we walk around; you know. I have never met Kenny in person but he makes me proud. The pictures are awesome Shell; just awesome. It was my pleasure to meet Zach this summer and he is a great kid. I hope to meet Kate some day. Being the parent of a senior must be so unreal; I get to feel it way to soon -- like next year. I don't look forward to it; I really don't look forward to letting them fly the nest. However you have made a nest that is worth coming home to. You have been a great nest builder so you have no worries. Happy Thanksgiving to you and Kenny, Zack and Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Thanksgiving! Thinking of you today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must be so proud of Kenny! He is a wonderful son.

    I love the poster idea...thinking I will offer that idea to the senior baseball parents next year!

    Hoping Thanksgiving was wonderful at your house.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tattoo

So.
I got a tattoo.  Christine actually wrote on my facebook post, "You??"
Yeah.  Me.

I've been thinking about it for six years.
I finally decided that if after six years, I still wanted it, maybe it was time.

The writing is Dave and Doug's.
Taken from notes they wrote me.
They always signed their notes the same way.

I thought I was doing it in memory of them.
To mark the way they are always on my heart.
To have a visible reminder.
A permanent keepsake,
always with me.

And while it is that.
It is also more.

I didn't realize it,
until afterwards.

It's a marker.
A closing of a chapter.
Closure, if you will.

I don't know how to explain it.
The minute it was finished,
I knew.
I knew something inside me was different.

Dave,
and to a lesser extent,
Doug,
have been part of my every thought
every day
for over 10 years.

Daryl saw the Dali Lama this summer.
One thing he learned:
Interrogate your truth.

I've been thinking about that a lot.

Interrogate implies a…

Goodbyes

So I had my first Walla Walla goodbyes.
The first was my eye doctor, Dr. Poffenroth.
He's taken care of my eyes for 25 years.
He's more than just an eye doctor.  He's a caring person and a friend.
As I left my last appointment, he handed me a card with a referral to a friend of his who practices in Port Angeles.
I looked at the card.
And realized...I won't see him again.

I've been living in a bit of denial.
I know.  Big surprise.

With all the excitement and chaos of moving,
And all the stress of living in limbo,
I somehow missed that I'd be leaving some things
some people
behind.

I know I'll be back often.
To see my kids and the new grandbaby,
friends and family.
This fact allowed me to forget...
there are some I won't see.

Even though we promise to keep in touch,
Life has a way of getting busy.
Good intentions and all that.

I  have written many times about Walla Walla.
It's a magical place.
Safe, nurturing.
I never thought I'd leave.

People ask…

Memory Lane

Magic Penny - Dave Meyer
Melt with You - Dave Meyer
Growing Older with You - Dave Meyer
Don't You Know that I Hear? - Erik Haroldson
Friends - Dave Meyer & Erik Haroldson